AltaGas is an energy infrastructure business with a focus on natural gas, power and regulated utilities. We create value by acquiring, growing and optimizing energy infrastructure, which includes renewable energy sources. Over the past 18 years we have built a portfolio of assets and created dynamic teams to support our future growth.
Reporting to the Manager Market Operations, the Senior Commodity Trader is responsible for assisting team members in evaluating investment opportunities, conducting research, developing investment recommendations, executing investments, monitoring and managing investments. This position requires prior experience with trading futures and will have a focus on executing commodity transactions. This position will be a key member of the 24 hour real-time team, which will require shift work, including night, weekend and holiday shifts.
Responsibilities for the position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Drive profitability within AltaGas’ Power Division by collaborating cross-functionally to create products and services designed to meet the needs of our customers
- Analyze and propose deal and product alternatives that recognize customer feedback and the portfolio needs of AltaGas
- Develop and maintain analytical tools and models for evaluating specific customer or customer portfolio transactions, including; look back reporting, budget projections, consumption analysis and preparing appropriate recommendations for customers
- Develop, manage and maintain reporting tools for the Power team, including; budgets, forecasts, monthly operating reports, variance analysis, sales metrics, etc.
- Identify, evaluate, present and implement business improvement and business development opportunities to optimize AltaGas’ assets and systems
- Implement strategic decisions regarding the dispatch of power assets and trading strategies
- Develop, implement and review Power portfolio processes to ensure compliance to policies, standards, regulatory requirement and ensure mitigation of risks
- Mentor Junior Commodity Traders
- Relevant University degree preferably in Economics, Business or Finance
- A minimum five years of relevant work experience
- Strong analytical and modelling skills
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills
- Understand components of deal pricing and risk analysis as it pertains to power and natural gas markets
- Ability to work independently and on a team
- Ability to self-manage
- Prioritize a variety of projects simultaneously
- Excellent computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access)
Qualified applicants are invited to email their resumes in confidence to the Human Resources Department; firstname.lastname@example.org.
AltaGas offers a competitive salary and benefits package in addition to opportunities for personal and professional achievement.
We thank all applicants for their interest in our organization, but only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No agency referrals or telephone inquiries at this time, please.